MSVU President’s Visiting Lecture Series to host Dr. Stephen Brookfield
Mount Saint Vincent University and the Delmore “Buddy” Daye Learning Institute are pleased to host Dr. Stephen Brookfield
, award winning expert on adult education and teaching race, for the 2019 edition of the President’s Visiting Lecture Series on Teaching and Learning.
In his talk “Overcoming white supremacy through teaching with narrative disclosure”, Dr. Brookfield, will explore ways of teaching about race. In his recent book Teaching Race: How to help students unmask and challenge racism, he notes the following (points which will also underpin his talk at MSVU):
- We live in a time of rampant racism.
- If unchallenged, racism will continue to extend.
- Racism damages everyone.
- Roots of racism lie in the ideology of white supremacy.
- Racism is learned.
- Racism is structural, not individual.
- The point of teaching race is to prepare students to take action to confront racism.
, CEO of the Delmore “Buddy” Daye Learning Institute, will lead a discussion and response following Dr. Brookfield’s talk.
When: 7 p.m. on Friday, October 18, 2019
Multi-Purpose Room, 3rd floor, Rosaria Student Centre, Mount Saint Vincent University, 166 Bedford Highway campus [map
This session is free; all are welcome.