Between the Bridges Collective Impact Research & Evaluation Lead
Title: Between the Bridges – Collective Impact Evaluation and Research Lead
Location: Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Structure: Open to individuals, consultants, organizations
Starting Date: As soon as possible and no later than August 1, 2018
The community of Dartmouth North, the Province of Nova Scotia, United Way Halifax and a growing number of residents, community based organizations, departments of government, and businesses are Working Together to Break the Cycle; a cycle of many “root causes” that contribute to poverty and have limited the possibilities for multiple generations of people who live in Dartmouth North.
Residents and community have fondly named this initiative Between the Bridges to reflect the geographic area, nestled between the MacKay and Macdonald bridges in Halifax Regional Municipality, where this work is focused.
Between the Bridges is using a Collective Impact approach to tackle complex social issues that cannot be resolved by working alone. Rather, the Collective Impact approach is designed from the principle that it will take the shared knowledge, experience, and expertise of residents, government, not-for-profits, and businesses working together, at the same table, to identify and try new approaches to tackle complex social and population challenges.
Between the Bridges is integrated within a larger provincial initiative called Inspiring Communities, also designed to address complex social and population issues in other priority communities across Nova Scotia. Ongoing collaboration is taking place with the Inspiring Communities teams to ensure the ongoing sharing of learnings, data, resources, and other assets that can strengthen new ways of working together.
Between the Bridges is committed to the evaluation of the effectiveness of this Collective Impact effort as both the theory of change and the framework to guide the processes, support a new culture of working together, take action, learn and adapt. With this in mind, Between the Bridges is seeking skilled, experienced, and committed professional support to the ongoing evaluation and research for this initiative.
This opportunity is open for consideration by individuals, consultants, partnering organizations and our goal is to recruit for alignment to the following criteria:
Tasks and Responsibilities:
Between the Bridges is seeking a Collective Impact Evaluation and Research Lead (the Lead) who will be responsible for the ongoing design and implementation of the Evaluation Framework that is aligned to the Components and Conditions of Success for Collective Impact. There is unlimited opportunity to draw heavily from other more mature Collective Impact initiatives that are actively underway and communicating evaluation outcomes. Based on the developmental and innovative nature of this work, the Lead will be comfortable working within this context and will be able to bring education, experience, and expertise to this emergent work.
It is anticipated that other related contract consultants may be needed in the areas of research, analysis, writing. etc. and the Project Lead would work closely with the Lead to identify how best to structure these roles and relationships.
Recognizing the very collaborative and peer leadership approach to Between the Bridges, the Lead primarily reports to, and collaborates with, the Between the Bridges Project Leader. Wherever possible, the Lead will also work closely with the Inspiring Communities Evaluation team to support integration and sharing of methodology and learnings that may be scaled in other communities across Nova Scotia.
The Lead will be “embedded” with the Between the Bridges governance structures including the Strategic Roundtable, Residents Roundtable, Student Success Alignment Team, and the Community Insight Team. The Lead will also be responsible to identify and then work with other community, government, and academic partners to support the collection, analysis, and sharing of data.
Key Areas of Responsibility:
- Implement the Collective Impact Evaluation Framework for Inspiring Communities and Between the Bridges, and in recognizing the developmental nature of the work to continually monitor, adapt, and communicate learnings with stakeholders;
- Work with Between the Bridges Network help deepen knowledge and understanding about evaluation and collaborate to determine the most relevant (and limited) indicators and tools to track progress and results;
- Provide leadership to the purposeful and systematic collection of data and information to track progress towards targets;
- Champion the holistic nature of research, data, story, and evaluation to help all stakeholders better understand priority community issues and solutions;
- Support the ongoing communication with respect to what, when, how, and why we are evaluating in the context of the phases of Collective Impact;
- Work, as an embedded evaluator, to role model and support a culture of relationship building and creating psychologically safe processes and space for the diversity of stakeholders;
- Merge the worlds of data collection and storytelling to highlight and communicate key findings and celebrate the accomplishments of the collective work; and
- Represent Between the Bridges and actively contribute at the Collective Impact Evaluation Committee co chaired by Inspiring Communities and the Province of Nova Scotia.
Required Skills and Experience
- An undergraduate degree (Masters preferred) in a relevant area (e.g., social sciences, public administration, community studies, management, etc.) with an emphasis on research;
- Minimum three to five years’ progressive experience in a research and evaluation capacity across sectors (e.g., government, not-for-profit) is preferred;
- Understanding of social policy, government, business, and community approaches;
- Strong interest and affinity to the Collective Impact approach and appetite to continually increase competence as a leader in this area of evaluation;
- Experience in developmental evaluation, theory, and implementation;
- Demonstrated experience with basic quantitative statistical analyses;
- Proven ability to mobilize research knowledge for diverse audiences, including presenting and disseminating research results in clear, concise and compelling language; and,
- Demonstrated ability to use a variety of technical platforms and software programs to support research and data analysis.
- Energetic and critical thinker; innovative and pragmatic problem-solver;
- Empathetic and trustworthy with confidential information;
- Ability to work independently and take initiative;
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills;
- Strong interpersonal skills to establish and maintain effective relationships;
- Ability to adapt and manage an emerging agenda, changing deadlines and priorities; and,
- Current Criminal Reference and Vulnerable Sector Checks.
Consideration given to an equivalent combination of skills and experience.
Hours of Work
- This work is emerging and evolving at all times, with some known timelines and others that will require the insight and knowledge of the Lead. This role requires a degree of flexibility, however hours of work and schedule to be mapped out monthly for mutual planning purposes.
- Generally, this role will require a minimum o f 12-15 hours /week with some weeks higher based on the priority projects underway. As this position is “embedded” with the Between the Bridges Team, there is a requirement to be available for some weekday evenings (5-8 pm) in support of the Between the Bridges Network meetings. Meetings are scheduled on a 3-4 months rolling calendar.
- The Between the Bridges office is located at 68 Highfield Park Drive, Dartmouth and there is a high degree of flexibility for working from a virtual office as well.
Preliminary Contract: This position is a one-year, renewable contract (contingent on funding).
Review of applications will begin on June 15, 2018 and continue until the position is filled.
Please send your Cover Letter and Resume in one document, highlighting your education, skills and experience in alignment to the above criteria.
Attention: Bette Watson-Borg, Project Leader, Between the Bridges [email protected]
Job Posting Between the Bridges – Collective Impact Evaluation and Research Lead